Air filters play an important role in keeping the air in your home clean and free of dust and allergens. Depending on your needs there are different types of air filters you can purchase that will best fit your lifestyle indoors. It is important to do your research on the type of air filters you want to purchase as they all have different benefits. There are many factors to consider when purchasing air filters such as cost, quality, and specific requirements or needs, so let’s take a look at different types of Air Conditioning filters for home.
Fiberglass Air Filters for Home
– These are the most common air filters you will find in homes and apartments. They are disposable and affordable but do not provide much filtering since their main objective is to protect your AC unit from large debris. Using these filters won’t filter fine dust and debris so you might still be susceptible to seasonal allergies and respiratory problems.
– These filters are made of polyester or cotton fabrics in a folded pattern. These will be better at filtering dust and debris and the more folds you have, the better they filter the air. These air filters provide better filtering than the fiberglass but are still cost effective, so they don’t break the bank.
Washable Air Conditioning Filters
– While the upfront cost on washable air filters is more than your standard disposable air filter, it is better in cost savings for the long run. They can be removed and cleaned however often you see fit, so they do not need to be replaced that often. These filters will have the same filtering quality as a pleated filter just with the long-term cost benefit. It is important to read the manufacturer’s instructions on how to properly maintain these filters so that they last as long as possible. The most important detail to remember is to let the air filter completely dry before reinstalling it back into your HVAC system to prevent mold and bacteria growth, this can cause serious or fatal respiratory issues.
different types of Air Conditioning filters for home
Electrostatic Air Filters for Home
– These filters are another form of a washable and reusable air filter. While there are some that are disposable, most of these air filters can be washed and reused. They work by running an electrostatic charge through the filter to attract and catch dust and airborne particles. These are good at filtering micro dust particles but not as good at filtering large dust particles or mold spores, they also need to be cleaned monthly as they will not work if they become too dirty. Electrostatic filters will be costly upfront but in the long term, they will be the most cost effective as they are the most durable type of filter and only have to be purchased once.
– This type of filter is unique as it uses ultraviolet light to kill bacteria and viruses. Although these are going to be less efficient in screening dust and other pollutants, they are good at killing microorganisms like mold, bacteria, viruses that can also be dangerous to your health. They work by emitting a short-wave ultraviolet light that neutralizes or destroys those microorganisms by altering their DNA. These types of filters are going to be on the pricier side of filtration systems as they require a much higher upfront cost as well as a monthly cost to run and maintain them. This type of filter usually works best paired with another filter like a HEPA filter as it can not filter dust particles or mold spores.
– HEPA or High Efficiency Particulate Air filters are the best at filtering dust, allergens, mold spores and moisture. They filter 99.97% of contaminants and are recommended by the US Department of Energy. These filters will run higher in cost than your average fiberglass or cotton filters but provide much more peace of mind that the air circulating in your home is clean and free of micro dust and allergens. There are many benefits as to why you should purchase HEPA filters for your home. They are great for people who have allergies, asthma, and respiratory problems.
These filters are also great for families who have pets as they remove dander and hair from the air that can cause lung irritation. Parents to newborn babies can rest easy as these filters can help protect the newborn from immune and respiratory issues. These filters can also help remove particles, contaminants, and odors in homes that are associated with smokers or tobacco products. All in all, this is the best filter you can purchase and is recommended for use by everyone. If you have any questions about different types of Air Conditioning filters for home, you can always reach out to AGES.